Pages

Sunday 4 September 2011

Nakd Review

As I'm on a strict diet for my endometriosis I thought I'd blog my search for interesting and tasty snacks and cooking ingredients. this is my first review!
Earlier this month I contacted the people at Natural Balance Foods about their Nakd bars. They very kindly sent me a selection of bars to try.
Nakd avoid the refined, additive packed ingredients found in most cereal bars by making them with raw fruit, nuts and other natural ingredients.
They are wheat, dairy and gluten free and best of all....count as one of your 1 a day!



I struggle finding any on-the-go snacks that suit my dairy, gluten, sugar, oat and wheat free diet because there is always at least one of those ingredients, normally glucose syrup, that stops me enjoying the closest options I have to a healthy snack.
Ok, I'm not supposed to have cocoa but come on! It's the lesser of all the other evils and in the Nakd bars there's only 6%.


I love Nakd's packaging. I'm sure that my opinion of the brand would be different if the font wasn't modern, the colours weren't fresh and the wording wasn't so up-to-date. A hip, not hippy, wholefood company?
Yes! There are more and more companies like this appearing but it's taken a long time for this kind of brand to be considered cool and it'll take a while for it to catch on.


I spoke to my husband about the packaging and said that it makes a big difference for me. I didn't expand and he went on to say that he just doesn't see the point of it coming in packaging like this when, to him, these bars taste so similar to other cereal bars.
I explained to him that I think the packaging is crucial. People in my position, with very limited manufactured treat options, really need something like this that can be pulled out while enjoying a take-away tea or coffee out and about, as an afternoon snack, maybe heated with icecream as a pudding (more on that later) and generally carried around.
It's about having the sweetie experience. It hits the childish part of me that enjoys unwrapping something pretty and taking some time out to enjoy it. Not some poo resembling bar sweating up against it's packaging window, all bent and sweaty looking, framed by an illustration of a squirrel holding an acorn just to remind you that what you're eating resembles rodent food!
Since contacting Nakd I've started to see the bars appearing in Tesco, Holland and Barrett and other local shops. It's a bit hit and miss finding them actually in stock but that's a good sign isn't it?
I've seen a 3 for 2's, bogofs and discounts too and will be keeping my eyes open in order to bulk buy in future.


Here's what we thought (along with website descriptions and ingredients):


Pecan Pie - Dates (52%), Pecans (28%) Almonds (20%)
“I’m old school simplicity with a mellow nuttiness all my own.”
A tasty bar that is similar to the Cashew Cookie, just a little warmer tasting with the addition of pecan. My son enjoyed this one too.



Berry Delight - Dates 49%, Cashews 31%, Raisins 17%, Raspberry 3%, natural raspberry flavour
“I’m sweet and fruity, with a smooth raspberry mojo.”
I very much enjoyed this one and would be interested to see more fruit flavours. The cashew is smooth and sweet which went well with the raspberry in the way that white chocolate does. A welcome change from the nut and cocoa domination.



Cashew Cookie - Cashews (51%), Dates (49%)
“I’m simple and satisfying with a subtle wholesome earthiness.”
Very simple. I liked it, my husband hated it. He didn't see the point of something so simple that you could effectively make yourself, and that is so bland, being packaged up. I didn't find it bland and, again, the packaging is great and keeps it fresh. I don't see myself getting up each day to make fresh hand blended cashew and date before wrapping it in clingfilm to let it get squashed in my bag!
Popular with the toddler.



Ginger Bread - Dates (48%), Almonds (32%), Pecans (18%), Ginger, Cloves & Cinnamon
“I’m subtle and surprising with a hint of holiday cheer.”
Lovely. One of my favourites. My toddler and I shared this and I didn't get much! I'd really like to see more combinations like this with spices added in. Maybe a christmas edition?




Cocoa Delight - Dates 48%, Cashews 29%, Raisins 17%, Cocoa 6%, natural chocolate flavour
“Gorgeous, moist fudgie brownie. Mmmm, baby.”
Very good. The three cocoa based bars have raisins in them, which adds and almost boozy element of richness to the bars.
I got a bit experimental here and blasted it in the microwave for 8 seconds. Yum! It' go nicely with Booja Booja dairy & sugar free ice cream (top tip).



Cocoa Mint - Dates 48%, Cashews 29%, Raisins 17%, Cocoa 6%, Natural mint oil, natural flavour
“I’m like a rich, moist fudgie brownie with a hint of mint. Shockingly yummy.”
My least favourite. My husband described it as 'rank'. I just didn't like the raisin flavour wit the mint but others might disagree. The mint taste did last in my mouth and I really liked that. Maybe a good apres- exercise snack to help cool down? Do not microwave...bleurgh.



Cocoa Orange- Dates (40%), Cashews (40%), Raisins (14%), Cocoa (5%), A hint of natural flavour.
“I’m like a rich, moist fudgie brownie with a hint of orange. Simply glorious.”
Yes I agree. Tried microwaving this one and had a similar result to the Cocoa Delight.



To conclude. I like them A LOT. 
They work out at 77p each if you buy them direct from the website in a pack of 18.
They're 75p each in tesco though! Better that the 95p Holland and Barrett price, but not if you get them on bogof or buy-one-get-one-for-1p, which was on last week.
I like having something nicely packaged in my bag that I can eat without guilt. Simple.


Kx

2 comments:

  1. Me and Paul have bought some to give them a try, I'll let you know what we think. Make this a regular feature please- it's a great idea!
    Katie xx
    www.coffeehousediscussions.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly shall!
    Let's see if you like them too....
    Kx

    ReplyDelete