Pages

Sunday 4 September 2011

Hotels.TV Competition - Southside and Old Town Edinburgh

Last week I made a very last minute entry to Hotels.TV's facebook competition.

They're giving away £500 to the person chosen as winner. I'd love to win so that we can double our car fund since Steve's just passed his test. Road trip!


I made this on my own in and around my local area using just a camera tripod and mini HD video camera.
This was a fairly embarrassing task but I really enjoyed doing it, even though the local 'characters' were edging closer and closer and the same pair of mums kept passing me time and time again with their prams, shaking their heads. I do have a natural cheesy side which is best shown off with me doing thumbs up signs on my own in the street.....


Here it is on Youtube


If you'd like to give me a thumbs up to give me a boost then please click here and VOTE. You need to like the Hotels.TV facebook page in the process of doing this. Worth doing as they have great offers. I had a look around the website in order to write this post and their prices are very competitive.


You can click VOTE once daily up until the 9th sept. Judges are choosing the winner but I'm sure that they'll appreciate people bringing in more fans!


Read below about 'My Edinburgh'.





I am passionate about Edinburgh and my area. Especially since it was the heart of this year's fringe with George Square being chosen as the epicentre of all of the action.
Any of the places mentioned in my video and listed below are perfectly appointed for Hogmanay and Fringe visitors and tourists.






Here are the 2 hotels I pointed out in the video:-


Ten Hill Place - Brilliant, well hidden, boutique hotel with lovely staff and a very nice restaurant.
Holiday Inn Express - A well known chain. Clean and in a great location. Not great for disabled visitors though unless you have a car since it's at the bottom of several small hills.


Also nearby:-
Novotel Edinburgh Centre - Great reports here. Nice clean rooms with good facilities and great access for disabled visitors. Bar has a good atmoshere with friendly staff.
Hotel Du Vin - where I had my wedding reception in their private dining rooms for 8-20. Small but lovely rooms and a great restaurant. Overpriced a la carte dinner but a great cellar. Lunch & set meal dinners are great value.


The highlights
Our Underground City
Mosque Kitchen
Beirut Lebanese restaurant
Nile Valley East African restaurant
Mother India's Cafe
Spoon Cafe (where Harry Potter was written way more than in The Elephant House)
Black Bo's Bar & Restaurant


Other stuff I'd recommend:
Free walking tours
Mary King's Close
The wonderful museum
Greyfriars Bobby
Edinburghs Parks especially the nearby Meadows and Arthur's Seat
Bonsai Sushi
Scottish Storytelling Centre - a great wee cafe with lots of space foor kids to run around
Kalpna - vegetarian Indian restaurant with an excellent value buffet
David Bann - another great Vegatarian restaurant
Victor Hugo Deli & cafe 
Newington Traditional Fish Bar (gluten free fish and chips every wednesday!)


Please feel free to contact me on the right (leaving your email address!) or below with any questions about Edinburgh, where to stay, eating out and what to do.


Kx


No comments:

Post a Comment